US minorities underrepresented in children's books

Where I live, I don't walk down the street and see only white faces. In fact, I'm lucky to live in one of the most diverse counties in the United States because Refugee Family Services is based here. (Many of those coming into the US filter through RFS, and lots of them stay in Atlanta.) Add to that, this year was the first year that minority babies and toddlers outnumber whites. In other words, our children are not just one color!!
     It's why I'm so proud to illustrate children of varying ethnicities in the books I illustrate. But there's lots more work to be done, because children's books on the whole do not yet reflect the diverse nature of our children!


Thanks to 100 Scope Notes for bringing this to my attention, so that I can help spread the word!

No comments: