The Ruby Red Trilogy

     
I sometimes receive audio books to review. My policy is if I don't like something, I stay quiet on the subject. But I don't want to stay quiet on these! I just finished listening to RUBY RED and SAPPHIRE BLUE, the first two books in The Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier, translated by Anthea Bell, and I am thoroughly hooked! Set in London with all their fun language quirks, Gwyneth Shepherd learns that she inherited the time travel gene in her family, not her cousin - the one who had been training for tromps through time her entire life. Unprepared, Gwyneth literally dives into her new fate with a few surprises of her own, a quirky gargoyle and smart best friend as sidekicks, and an infuriating boy.
     I can't wait for the third in the series, as they really do leave you hanging, because I found them completely engaging and delightful. There's some violence and a bit of snogging, but otherwise, this is a mild YA that anybody who enjoys fantasy, time travel, and a bit of the paranormal will like too. Check out the trailer:
     Full disclosure: I purchased the first audio-book. The second audio-book was supplied by the publisher (MacMillan).

No comments: