e's news - October 2008

I just sent out the latest version of my newsletter "e's news" - are you subscribed? Maybe you read my blog through facebook, jacketflap, or some other blog reader? Well, just for you, here's a run-down:

EVENTS:
     If you'll be in Nashville this weekend (October 11th), I'll be speaking on the children's stage at 9:30 am during the Southern Festival of Books. I'll also be on a panel discussion at 12:30 pm. (Click the banner for details.) There will be lots of great speakers, and the festival is FREE to the public, so I hope you'll stop by!
     Next weekend (October 18th) I'll be talking about "Self-Promotion for Illustrators" at the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Southern Breeze (Southeast region) Fall Conference in Birmingham, Alabama. If you're interested in creating children's books yourself, the SCBWI is a great place to start - this is the organization that ties us all together.
     I'm having a great time in my new role as SCBWI Southern Breeze Illustrators' Coordinator. Read about our first ever Portfolio Workshop last weekend - it was a huge success. Meanwhile, planning for our Illustrators' Showcase which was picked up by the Southern Arts Federation to travel the South for two years is moving forward smoothly - more on that soon!

BOOK NEWS:
A shout out for the new All-English and All-Spanish versions of Paco and the Giant Chile Plant

AWARDS:
Big wahoos for Ready for the Day!:

Ready for the Day! named an Association of Booksellers for Children's (ABC) Top Title for Back to School in their 2008 ABC Toolbox!

Ready for the Day! has been selected as an iParenting Media Awards Outstanding Product for 2008!

VISITS:
     The Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance (SIBA) has made it easier to find authors available to speak in your area through their new SIBA STARS site. I'm proud to be one of their beta testing authors, so check it out!
     An author or illustrator visit can be a profound experience for students, and grant money is often available, so if you would like to invite me to speak at your school or event, learn more at http://dulemba.com/index_visits.html
or email me at elizabeth@dulemba.com.
     If your school still can't afford the whole-hog affair, I am now offering Virtual Visits using Skype! Let's make technology work for us in an interesting (and less expensive) new way!

And of course I talked about all the freebies I give away at dulemba.com like Coloring Page Tuesday. Hope you subscribe to get this info first-hand!

No comments: